Scott McCleary is a principal of Meyner and Landis LLP and has been practicing law since 1987. Scott has in-depth experience providing transactional and litigation services to large corporations and financial institutions, closely held businesses, entrepreneurs and other business owners.
Scott provides counsel with respect to most types of commercial transactions, including commercial loan and workout agreements, real estate purchase and development agreements, asset sale agreements, commercial leases, construction agreements, stock purchase agreements, shareholder and operating agreements, and other agreements relating to for-profit and non-profit corporate governance.
When business disputes arise, Scott brings more than 30 years of commercial litigation experience to resolve them, including emergent applications, jury trials and appeals. Scott handles complex arbitrations and appears regularly in New Jersey state courts and New Jersey and New York federal courts.
Scott is immediately accessible and responsive to his clients. Whether a matter is transactional in nature or involves litigation, Scott works with businesses to provide practical and cost-effective legal solutions, recognizing the client’s larger business strategy.
His accomplishments have resulted in the firm's recurring designation as one of the Go-To Law Firms of the World's Leading Businesses. Firms are selected as Go-To Law Firms based on a national survey of General Counsel of Fortune 500 companies, as well as on in-depth research and analysis of various public filings and resources, according to publisher Incisive Media. Based on the opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary, Scott has received a Martindale-Hubbell rating of "AV Preeminent," its highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
Areas of Practice
- New Jersey, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1987
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1995
- University of Bridgeport School of Law, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- J.D. - 1987
- Honors: Member, Moot Court Editorial Board
- Honors: Moot Court, Best Speaker Award
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1984
- Consumer Fraud Is More Than An Unlawful Act and Ascertainable Loss , New Jersey Law Journal, 195 N.J.L.J. 491 (February 2009)
- Lecturer, "Law and Banking", American Institute of Banking, 1989 - 1993
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- Loyola Foundation, General Counsel
- President, Board of Trustees of The Essex Valley School
- Garden State Credit Associates
- Commercial Finance Associates